Mathematics is all around us underpins our daily life and is critical in our children’s future. At Longwell Green we believe that it is vital for our pupils to be mathematically literate and mathematically confident as we aim to educate them for their future lives. By developing the ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems and an awareness of a whole network of concepts and relationships we are able to make sense of the world around us .Armed with these skills and the language to express them our students will be able to take their place confidently in a numerate society.
Our aims and objectives
- To promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion.
- To promote confidence and competence.
- To give children a breadth of mathematical understanding and the appropriate mathematical vocabulary to express their ideas clearly.
- To develop logical thinking and reasoning skills through a problem solving and an investigative approach.
- To develop the ability to calculate mentally using a variety of methods.
- To teach children ways of recording mathematically which consolidate their understanding and equip them to deal with larger numbers.
- To develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented.
- To explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts.
- To understand the importance of mathematical skills in everyday life.
Daily Maths Lessons
Children enjoy a daily lesson of mathematics which will focus on developing a mental mathematical method and then specific mathematical skill or concept .These areas of foci are taken from the National Curriculum Framework and are differentiated to meet the individual needs of the pupils.
Information on the National Curriculum programmes of study for each year group can be found here. PRIMARY National Curriculum_-_Mathematics
Children are taught a range of calculation strategies throughout the school .These are linked to the mental methods we use and are designed to promote a smooth progression for pupils to develop a good understanding of efficient methods of calculating using all four rules.
Quick overview of the progression can be found here. Short version of calculation strategies
A more detailed explanation of the progression of the calculation strategies used can be found here. Calculation written strategies in detail