Special Educational Needs (SEND)

This gives you an overview of some key information about how we at Longwell Green support pupils with SEND.

Please see our policy for more detailed information.

The Local Offer

  • At Longwell Green, we value the individuality of all of our children. We are committed to giving all of our children every opportunity to achieve the highest of standards. We do this by taking account of pupils’ varied life experiences and needs. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum and have high expectations for all children. The achievements, attitudes and well-being of all our children matter to us and we work hard to develop every area of a child.

Longwell Green strives hard to ensure that all pupils;

  • Have a wide and balanced curriculum which is differentiated to meet individual needs,
  • Can learn and make progress according to their individual development trends,
  • Are assessed using appropriate assessment tools and guidelines,
  • Have equal access to resources, provision and interventions as needed.

Special educational provision is educational or training provision that is additional to or different from that made generally for others of the same age. This means children with special educational needs have provision that goes beyond the differentiated approaches and learning arrangements normally provided as part of high quality, personalised teaching. It may take the form of additional support from within a setting or require involvement of specialist staff or support services.

Our School has a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDco) who is responsible for the management of provision and or support for identified pupils with SEND. Our SENDco is highly trained, for example having achieved the National Award for SENDcos. They will also coach and support teachers and other staff to enable them to provide appropriate assessment and focused provision for children in their class with SEND. All teachers are teachers of SEND pupils and as such provide quality first teaching, which takes account of the particular individual needs of pupils with SEN within the classroom.

From 2014, Local Authorities and schools have been asked to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0‐25. This is known as the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area. The South Gloucestershire local offer can be found on the website: https://find-information-for-adults-children-families.southglos.gov.uk/kb5/southglos/directory/advice.page?id=NkongJNLbuI

The Parents Partnership Service is a very useful resource available to give advice and to put parents in contact with other support groups. They can be contacted by email on their website: https://www.sglospc.org.uk/contact  

This utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet. This document provides answers to a variety of questions parents have asked regarding what support School can provide for your child.

Definition of Special Educational Needs or Disability SEND

Children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty, which calls for extra special educational provision to be made for them that is additional or different from that made generally for others of the same age.

A child has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

(a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age; or

(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local education authority,

(c) are under compulsory school age and fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would so do if special educational provision was not made for them.

Children must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language or form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.

Within classes children often need some extra support and/ or challenge to consolidate their learning and to enable them to access the curriculum at an appropriate level. Teachers use their professional judgements to effectively plan and provide for each individual child. This could be providing slightly different tasks for child and adapting teaching and learning styles to meet the needs of the children as well as a huge range of techniques and approaches to build on your child’s existing strengths and develop other areas.  A child with SEND will often, but not always, need more than this. 

Frequently asked questions

The school SENDCO is Charlotte Wright. There is also a SEND governor who supports the SENDCO and staff to meet your child’s needs. This is Mrs Jenny Hatcliffe.  You are able to talk to any of our staff who will support and signpost you.  All of our teachers, teaching assistants and leaders are expert at supporting a wide range of needs and will certainly be able to help. 

1)      How does Longwell Green know if my child needs extra help?

Teachers and parents may notice that:

  • There may be changes in your child’s behaviour
  • Your child may find it difficult to concentrate and engage with tasks
  • Your child’s academic progress may be slower than their peers
  • Your child’s attainment may be below the expectation of their age group
  • Your child may have a known condition that hinders their learning
  • Your child may have a known medical or physical disability
  • Your child may be demonstrating key behaviours that indicate a problem
  • Your may have missed early milestones in their development

We all want the same for each child in Longwell Green, this is that they have the very best all round education, helping them achieve their very best.  We do this by working as a group with the child at the centre.  There is no one size fits all and in identifying the best for your child’s needs, we will work together as a team.  Each person brings a different perspective, as a family you know your child best and your knowledge is invaluable.  As a school, we are practiced and have a proven track record of supporting a wide range of needs and at time, we will also involve experts such as Educational Psychologists to further understand needs and develop support. 

As a school we will always talk to your child’s previous settings to find out about your child.

As said before, you as parents and carers know their child best and we will talk and listen to any worries that you may have.

Sometimes additional information is passed on to school by other agencies, such as doctors, where that information could help the child at school.

Longwell Green’s system for regularly observing, assessing and recording the progress of all children is used to identify children who may have additional needs. Children may also be identified as having SEN through a variety of ways including the following:

  • Liaison with previous school or pre-schools
  • Early Years Profile
  • Progress measured against the assessment focuses in literacy and maths
  • National expectation descriptors for the end of a key stage and year groups
  • Standardised screening and assessment tools
  • Observations of behavioural, emotional and social development
  • An existing Statement of SEND
  • Assessments by a specialist service, such as educational psychology
  • Another school or LA which has identified or has provided for additional needs.
  • Concerns raised by Parent
  • Through termly Pupil Progress Meetings held between the teachers / SENDCO and teaching assistants
  • Concerns raised by teacher for example behaviour or self-esteem is affecting child’s learning and well being
  • Health diagnosis through paediatrician/doctor

Based on the school’s observations and assessment data and following a discussion between the class teacher, SENCo and parent, the child may be recorded as needing either:

  • differentiated curriculum provision within the class or in small groups outside of the classroom for a set period.
  • additional support as described below.

2)      What should I do if I am not sure about something?

Talk to us – firstly contact your child’s class teacher who will listen to your concerns and give advice. If you require more information contact our SENCO or Head Teacher. We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that they are able to do the same with us. 

3)      How will Longwell Green staff support my child?

Our SENDCO will closely monitor all provision and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school. The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group, if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts.  If required, staff will work closely with you and your child to put into place a personalised plan to help your child at school.  Even if your child does not have SEND so a plan in not required, all staff work constantly to acknowledge strengths and successes and build on areas that need development.  This is a child level personalised approach and is continually reviewed.

The Graduated Response at Longwell Green Primary School

Please see an overview of how we provide for the varied needs of all children at Longwell Green Primary school using a graduated response model based on a child’s level of need. Please note that these are not an exhaustive list of our provision but give an idea of how we approach each child’s varied levels of need. We always personalise support for each individual child and ensure we follow the advice of external professionals. 

Download: Longwell Green Graduated Response

4)      How is any plan communicated effectively throughout Longwell Green?

This is achieved by:

  • Your child’s plan being often developed by all people who work with your child and then is shared with all the adults working with your
  • You will be invited to meet with the adults working with your child to review their progress and update the plan

5)      How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access according to their specific needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be three or more different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated. The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all children can access a lesson and learn at their level. In addition to the differentiation within each class as discussed above, we will ensure that all aspects of learning are carefully matched to your child and their needs this will be achieved by:

  • In addition to having accessible and SEND friendly classrooms, we will further adapt the learning environment (i.e. the classroom) so that it is accessible for any specific needs your child may have.
  • Your child may work in small groups with a teacher or teaching assistant; at some point throughout their journey, every child in school will work in small groups, this is because every child has their own strengths and areas to improve and many children benefit from small group work). A child with identified SEND may get more Chace to do this.  
  • when appropriate (as in when identified through an Educational Health Care Plan) your child may receive 1:1 support in and out of class
  • Specific intervention programmes are used to address gaps in the learning that your child is experiencing
  • Use of specific learning programmes from outside agencies (e.g. a speech and language programme)
  • Modified resources (e.g. large print text)

6)      How do you as the parent or carer, and we in Longwell Green know how the child is doing?

At Longwell Green we:

  • Carry out regular observations of your child to see how they are getting on, this includes visual, as well as through interaction and through their books,
  • Assess their learning and progress regularly and review this with Senior Leaders at least once every 6 to 8 weeks.
  • Share information with you as a parent or carer including successes and next steps
  • Work closely as a school team to support your child and review their progress together
  • Listen to your child and respond to their ideas and any concerns they may have
  • Listen and share comments and advice from other professionals working with your child (e.g. physiotherapist)

As a parent:

  • You will be invited to discuss your child’s progress with their teacher on a regular basis
  • You will be involved in the planning and reviewing of their personal plans
  • If your child has complex SEND they may have an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan), which means that a formal Annual Review will take place to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written. This can also be done at a six monthly interim review if changes to circumstances occur or concerns arise. Previously to September 2014, Statements of Statutory Education were given to children with complex SEND and these will eventually all be moved to an EHCP. This will be done as part of the review process.
  • Your child may be involved with a number of external agencies (such as a community paediatrician, social care, speech and language therapist etc.) and your child may be given a SAF (Standard Assessment Form) with targets that are similar to that of an EP. The SAF will be reviewed appropriately using a Team Around the Child (TAC) meeting, where all external agencies involved will be invited to discuss strategies and the next steps for supporting your child’s development.

At Longwell Green we want to work as a combined team as this is the most effective model and as we said earlier, we all want the same, which is the very best outcomes for your child. 

In school we will often use EP’s (Education Plans) to set targets and review progress. We can use these targets to monitor pupil’s progress academically against national/age expected levels and update or adjust the IEP. This may involve updating targets into smaller steps or using a different approach to ensure progress is made. Children may move off of the SEN register when they have ‘caught up’ or made sufficient progress. Parents are involved in all IEP review meetings.

We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENDCo and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home. We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs.

7)      How will Longwell Green help you to support your child’s learning?

Throughout the year there are opportunities for parents to be involved in your child’s learning. These may include:

  • Regular informal conversations (e.g. via our communication models in school such as dojo)
  • Parent evenings
  • Curriculum meetings
  • Specific learning workshops (e.g. phonics/calculations)
  • Open mornings/afternoons
  • Opportunities to share in your child’s successes
  • Home learning
  • We pride ourselves on being an open school. Of course, all staff have time limiting responsibilities, a class teacher fro example cannot speak on the phone in the middle of the day when they are teaching. However, we will do all we can to keep a impactful and meaningful dialogue between home and school and we encourage parents and carers to do the same.  In addition to this, on personal plans, we give suggestions for ways that you can support your child at home, linked to your child’s specific needs.

8)      What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

We are an inclusive school, we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff appreciate the importance of children having high self-esteem in order to achieve positive well-being. Here at Longwell Green Primary we are committed to our values and ensure pupils are able to develop in a caring, fair and understanding environment. The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be a parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher can liaise with the SENDCo for further advice and support.

This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as;

  • Health and Social Services, and/or the Behaviour Support Team.
  • We have a Family Link Worker who works with parents and the school to ensure a smooth transition between school and home.
  • School will generally not take responsibility for other medicines such as cough medicines, however we may be able to administer prescribed medicines following discussions with parents and a consensual agreement. This may include medicines for life threatening conditions or required for a long term illness such as asthma and diabetes. In such cases a ‘Care Plan’ may be put in place according to the directions of the School Nurse.

9)      What specialist services and expertise are available at Longwell Green and how do you all work together?

Schools have access to a range of services and professionals who can support your child. These include:

  • Education
    • Educational psychologist
    • Education welfare officer
    • Ethnic minority achievement service
    • Hospital/home teaching service
    • Inclusion support team
    • Behaviour support team
    • Speech and language therapy team
    • Ethnic minority and traveler advisor service
    • Non Local Authority services such as NASEN (National Association for Special Educational Needs), Bristol dyslexia centre
  • Medical
    • Child psychiatry service
    • Clinical psychology team
    • Community child health services
    • Child and adolescent mental health service
    • Consultant paediatrician
    • Coordination clinic
    • Occupational therapy service
    • Physiotherapy service
    • School nurse
    • Speech and language therapy service

In addition to these services, schools can access social services if there are additional concerns. Should your child require any form of involvement with an outside agency then the school would immediately inform you and obtain permission from parents to pursue any kind of professional intervention.

10)  What training have Longwell Green staff supporting children with SEND had or are they having?

Staff at Longwell Green are kept up to date with relevant training related to specific needs of individuals in school. Our SENDCO shares their knowledge with relevant staff as well as continuing an ongoing cycle of updates and training linked to SEND and updates in methods and practice. We also look for also opportunities for other professionals to come into school to train staff where needed. 

11)  What are the Governors responsibilities?

We have an SEN Governor. It is their job to regularly meet with the SENDCo and will update the governing body on changes, needs in school and current concerns. The Governors are then also able to agree priorities for spending within the SEND budget with the overall aim that all children receive the support they need in order to make progress.

12)  How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

At Longwell Green, we believe that every child should be fully included in the curriculum and any possible adaptations will be made to cater for this. All needs are individual and the support each child is given is tailored and personalised to their specific needs.

13)  How accessible is the Longwell Green environment?

Longwell Green is fully wheelchair accessible and has disabled toilet and changing facilities. A range of specialist equipment is already available in Longwell Green. If further equipment is needed for an individual, enquiries will be made by us as to how this will be secured. Please see our accessibility plan on our school website.

14)  How will Longwell Green school prepare and support my child to join school or in their transfer to a new setting?

The class teacher and SENDCO will oversee transition from one setting to another. This will include:

  • Meetings and communication with Early Years settings/previous schools to discuss the needs of your child
  • Opportunities for staff to see the child in their previous setting in order to observe the strategies and support already in place
  • Opportunities for your child to visit the school and become familiar with the new environment
  • Use of photos and social stories to familiarise your child with their new school and adults who will be working with them
  • 1:1 meetings between home and school
  • Specific support when starting such as story time and stay and play for children entering EYFS

15)  How are Longwell Green resources allocated and matched to my child’s Special Educational Needs?

At Longwell Green we invest heavily in the best equipment, resources and training to ensure each child is given the very best.  This money may go towards purchasing material resources/specialist equipment, employing teaching assistants and training for all staff and much more.  We will often allocate Teaching Assistants, who are funded by the school’s SEND Budget, to deliver programmes designed to meet groups of children’s needs. We also use the SEND Budget to provide recommended resources by external agencies. The budget is allocated on a needs basis.

16)  How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

We will use our professional judgement in consultation with you as parents/ carers, other staff members, and outside agencies to identify the level of support needed and its subtleties. The support will vary according to the individual need of the child. Pupils with an Education Healthcare Plan (provided by the Local Authority) will be allocated funding used to meet the provisions stated on their plan. This will all be through on-going discussions with the parents.

17)  Who can I contact for further information?

If parents/carers would like to discuss their child, they should speak to their child’s teacher in the first instance. They may also contact the SENDCO via the school office. Within the Local Authority, other organisations are available to support parents of children with Special Educational Needs, such as:

An overview of South Glos support for parents with disabled children – this has some useful external links as well.

Is a charity providing advice and support for parents/carers of pupils with SEN in Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire.

Other organisations you may wish to look at are:

Netmums offer friendly support and advice covering a range of different areas. This is not just for Mums but Dads too. On the website you can access tips on expert parenting tips, recipes, places to take your child and much more.

NASEN is the National Association for Special Educational needs and offers development and support for those who work with SEN pupils.

Mencap is the voice of Learning Disabilities. They value and support people with a learning disability as well as their families and carers.

This is the leading UK charity that supports families and people with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.

Is one of the UK’s leading charities that works with families and schools to support vulnerable children. Their vital services include: counselling, fostering and adoption, vocational training and disability inclusion groups.